Two posts in one week – woo! Let’s see if I can keep this up!
I have been so excited since May even I heard that Skinnytaste was coming out with a new cookbook this October! It is called One and Done and is all about meals made in one thing – a skillet, a slow cooker, an air fryer, etc. I, of course, preordered it and have been pouring over the recipes ever since it arrived.
I’ve only tried a few recipes so far and they have not disappointed! This one was definitely a hit – I love Mexican food and anything involving my slow cooker!
I adapted a few things from the original recipe. Some were out of necessity (I swear I had a jar of salsa in the pantry, but I didn’t so I did a substitute with canned diced tomatoes) and some were out of preference (I have my own guacamole recipe I love, so why not use that?).
The use of lean turkey meat instead of beef and whole wheat or low carb tortillas makes this recipe a little healthier than your standard taco recipe. And of course cooking the meat in the slow cooker makes it that much easier!
I love the addition of warming up the tortillas not in the pan, but right over the flame of the stove. Gives a great charring effect that makes an awesome extra flavor – just make sure they don’t catch fire!
So another great recipe from Skinnytaste, what else is new? You can’t go wrong with healthier Mexican food made easy, in my opinion.
Check out my Insta (@nachoaverageliz) and if you make anything I post about tag me or use the hashtag #nachoaveragelizrecipe !
Slow Cooker Tex Mex Turkey Tacos
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground or kosher salt
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 can 15 oz black beans rinsed and drained
- 1.5 cups jarred mild chunky salsa or 2 15oz cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 large avocado about 6 oz mashed with a fork
- 1/3 cup tomato diced
- 2 tbls chopped red onion or 1 tbls onion powder
- 1 tbls garlic powder
- 1 tbls lime juice
- 1 tbls fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground or kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 16 tortillas whole wheat or low carb
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce or salad mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- light sour cream or greek yogurt for drizzling optional
- For the taco filling: In a small bowl, combine the cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano, and salt.
- Place the ground turkey in the slow cooker, breaking it up loosely with your hands or a wooden spoon. Add the beans, top with the spice mixture, and pour the salsa or tomatoes over everything.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, until the meat is tender. Using a wooden spoon, break up the ground turkey and stir until everything is well combined.
- For the guacamole: In a medium bowl, combine the avocado, tomato, onion or onion powder, garlic powder, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Taste and add more salt, lime juice, or cilantro as needed.
- For the tacos: Warm the tortillas directly over medium flame on the stove, about 20 seconds each side. Place 2 on each plate.
- Assemble each taco by placing a 1/4 cup of the taco filling on each tortilla. Use a slotted spoon to minimize liquid in the taco. Divide guacamole and lettuce among the tacos. Top each with 1 tbls of the cheddar and sour cream/greek yogurt (if using) and serve.