Happy Monday everyone! Hope your week is off to a great start. Now, this weekend I participated in a friend’s chili cookoff. I usually don’t enter cooking or baking contests (even though I love to do both) because I get irrationally upset when I don’t win! But when I made this buffalo chicken chili for Robert a couple weeks ago he loved it and suggested I enter it in the cookoff. I went for it and… I WON!
This is a delicious chili with a buffalo chicken twist. I don’t know about you, but I love everything and anything buffalo chicken. When I saw this recipe on the Skinnytaste website, I knew I needed to make it. (Find original recipe here) It is so easy and super good (award-winning, duh), perfect for game day, weeknights, and cook-offs!
One of the best parts is how it doesn’t need to simmer all day. Including chopping and time to simmer, this buffalo chicken chili is done in 45 minutes to an hour! That’s super fast. If you aren’t going to make chili in a slow cooker (my fave method), it better take less than an hour to make!
An interesting part of this recipe is the addition of the refried beans. Now, I do not like refried beans. Always skip them at Mexican restaurants, never buy them for home, just hate them. But I decided to branch out and try this recipe anyway – and I’m so glad I did! They just help make the chili thick and creamy, without taking forever to cook or adding too many calories or smart points.
It is great with some cheddar cheese on top (and then it melts into the hot buffalo chicken chili – yum), sour cream or fat-free plain Greek yogurt, and with tortilla chips and/or carrots and celery. Any way you want to eat it, it is great! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
BUFFALO CHICKEN AND BEAN CHILI
- 1 lb lean ground chicken or turkey
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon ground paprika
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz can small white beans rinsed and drained
- 1 13.6 oz container fat free refried pinto beans
- 3/4 cups Swanson’s reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons Frank’s hot sauce
- reduced fat shredded cheddar
- chopped scallions
- reduced fat sour cream
- Heat a large deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the ground meat in the skillet and cook, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks, about 8-10 minutes, or until cooked through, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook stirring until the vegetables soften, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add white beans, refried beans, water and chicken broth, mix well, bring to a boil, and simmer covered on medium-low about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the hot sauce and add the chicken, cover and simmer until thickened, 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the flavors blend.