I’m happy to be back blogging my kitchen adventures. I continue to love to cook and look forward to sharing it all with you once again.
So, to start off I have this great recipe from Eat Yourself Skinny! I’ve found some great recipes on this food blog, so definitely check it out. Another favorite of mine – her honey sriracha meatballs. I might make my own post about those the next time I cook them.
We love chicken parm in this house so are happy to have found this great healthier recipe. I put a bit of a spin on her original recipe using carrot noddles from Trader Joes instead of making my own zucchini noodles. You could make this with whatever pasta you like – though I highly recommend the frozen carrot noodles.
Chicken parm is seriously one of the best comfort foods and this recipe is incredibly easy, so great for weeknights!
This recipe uses a mix of whole wheat breadcrumbs (if/when you have them, otherwise use what you have, I am all about that), flaxseed or almond meal, parmesan, and herbs to get all that flavor without too many calories.
One trick to this recipe is making sure the chicken breast is nice and thin before cooking so they cook quickly and evenly. I usually buy my chicken breasts in bulk when they are on sale and freeze them. For this recipe, I take two breasts, cut them in half to make four thin breasts, wrap each in saran wrap, and pound with a meat cleaver until each is about 1/2″ thick (roughly, I don’t measure or anything).
For the marinara, I just use whatever I have on hand. Right from a can will make it the lowest Weight Watchers (or now, Wellness that Works) points, but any one of your fave storebought or handmade works! And like I said, whatever pasta you like, but the Trader Joes carrot noodles are seriously the best, and the vegetable pasta alternative I’ve had that tastes and feels the most like the real thing!
So really, this is an awesome recipe from another awesome food blog. You can’t go wrong when you’re craving some delicious Italian food, but want to stick to eating healthy!
I’m excited to be back blogging, make sure to check out my Insta (@nachoaverageliz), and if you make anything I post about tag me or use the hashtag #nachoaveragelizrecipe!
Baked Chicken Parmesan with Carrot Noodles
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal or almond meal
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 egg whites or whole eggs
- 1 tsp water
- 2½ cups favorite marinara
- 1 package Trader Joe's carrot noodles or your favorite pasta
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil leaves chopped
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Cut chicken horizontally and pound each piece about ½ inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, flaxseed meal, oregano and garlic powder. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk together egg whites and teaspoon of water until frothy.
- Dip chicken into egg mixture and press into bread crumb mixture, coating both sides. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Spray the tops of the chicken with cooking spray and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until juices run clear and cooked through.
- While chicken is baking, heat marinara on the stove in a small saucepan on medium heat and cook noodles according to directions.
- Remove chicken and top each piece with 2 tbsp marinara + 2 tbsp mozzarella and place back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes, until cheese has melted.
- Spoon ¼ cup heated marinara onto noodles, top with baked chicken parm and sprinkle with fresh basil. Enjoy!